Sunday, August 7, 2016

Grand Canyon West Day Hike


I may or may not have recently turned 30, and it may or may not have taken me 5 months to actually write about it.  While I planned to party away the last, fleeting moments of my twenties in Vegas, my husband and my brother knew me better.  They so thoughtfully kidnapped me and whisked me off to Arizona for one of the greatest days of my life!

Let me tell you a little bit about myself... I can be a bit of a control-freak at times.  I do not handle surprises very well.  In fact, it would make me very happy if I knew what the plan was for each and every day. I like plans.  Plans are the greatest.


Now imagine how well I handled a mystery birthday gift.

I knew we were going to Vegas.  That was part of my plan.  I knew that my husband and my brother had been conspiring over the past few months to make my 30th one to remember.  

Then came the taunting.  I was vaguely told to bring workout clothes.  My brother would make random comments about heights.  For days, they toyed with my fragile controlling tendencies making it very clear I was at their will.

When we arrived at a car rental place I did feel a bit like I was being held captive.  They did not want me to let on to the rental agent that I had no idea where we were going.  We would have to go pretty far out for us to need a rental, but I had no idea that meant a 2+ hr drive to the middle of the desert. Did I mention feeling like I had been kidnapped?

As we passed more and more signs for the Grand Canyon, I was pretty confident that finally I knew what the plan was.  Of course, I did not.

I had no idea that these sneaky guys had booked a full day filled with a helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon, horseback riding, and a hike along the rim of the Grand Canyon itself.

These are some of my favorite moments from the hike, but if I'm being honest... the helicopter ride was probably one of the coolest experiences I've ever had.  Even though I had no part in this plan, I have to admit it was a pretty great one!  Happy birthday to me!

This photo does nothing to capture the truly breathtaking feeling
I had standing at the end of the freaking Grand Canyon!

On the top lefthand side is the very bottom of the skywalk.
You can actually walk out on the glass and look down into the canyon.
But... it costs money so we passed.

So glad my brother, Matt, was able to come on this trip!

Just a gorgeous view!


David was a little more apprehensive about the edge than Matt and I were.

Not as many tourists on this side, but it was just as beautiful.

Don't let David's tshirt and shorts fool you... It was cold and windy!

One of many I-fell-into-the-Grand-Canyon photos.
We were having a great time!

Me and David next to Guano Point.
Yep, it's exactly what it sounds like... They used to mine bat poop here.
Romantic, right?

Matt was a little obsessed with boulders...

And posing on top of rocks...

See... here's another boulder!
Such a beautiful day! I'm pretty darn lucky.
This was officially hike 3 of the 52 Hike Challenge.  

Check out our other hikes below:


No comments :

Post a Comment