Sunday, November 30, 2014

W76: A Time of Thanks

I absolutely love Thanksgiving!

What's not to love about a holiday that celebrates food, family, and being grateful?

Every year, I get to partake in two glorious meals, and since I am really trying to be healthier in my food and fitness choices as of late, I used this week as the perfect opportunity to incorporate some of those changes.  The "dishes" I supplied to my mom's Thanksgiving spread were a turkey-shaped veggie tray featuring purple cauliflower, and my healthy apple crisp recipe from a few weeks ago.



Here's what I learned as my family feasted in the tiniest of rooms at my grandma's nursing home:

1) If you want to get a conversation going, just bring purple cauliflower!  My brother and cousins took turns daring each other to try the "weird" cauliflower, and there were lots of interesting theories floating around about the origin of it's hue.

2) People LOVE this apple crisp!  It was a huge hit!  And, everyone was surprised that it does not contain white or brown sugar.  Honey is really enough.  The few remaining bites that I was going to take back to my husband, who unfortunately had to work during the first meal of the day, were mysteriously gone by the time I got home...

As for my other Thanksgiving with the in-laws, there's not a whole lot left to be desired at that table.  Plus, I didn't have time to whip up another "dish".  Instead I brought the makings of a brilliant fall drink that I am now obsessed with.  My brother and I went back and forth on the name but finally settled on B.A.F.D. (pronounced baff-dee) which stands for Brit's Awesome Fall Drink.  It was either that or Apple Crack...

Anyway, it consists of approximately...

8 oz. apple cider
7 oz. ginger ale
1 oz. caramel apple vodka

garnish with an apple slice


Knowing this was one of the most calorie-intense holidays of the year, I decided to keep track of everything I ate at both meals and challenge myself to this Spartan Thanksgiving workout.
 
My combined meals translated into...
30 minutes on the treadmill
6 sets of 10 pushups
5 sets of 50 jumping jacks
30 squats
4 sets of 10 burpees

As you can imagine, I was pretty much ready for bed by the time I completed this monster workout!  But I did it!  And, would you believe I was still about 300 calories over for the day?!  I made an executive decision to be okay with that, and move on with my life.

Additionally, Thanksgiving was the first day of my Runner's World Run Streak.  The idea is to put in at least one mile per day from Thanksgiving to New Year's Day (36 days total).  But, I'll talk about that a little more in next week's post...

Maybe it was the tryptophan or the BAFD's or just plain exhaustion, but my mind went some pretty weird places by the end of the day.  I found myself in a nostalgic little bubble thinking about how fast this year had flown by and that really the last decade had kind of escaped my grasp if I was being honest...

Life is really just a whirlwind of moments and memories.  If you don't actively try to be present and make it count, it could all just be over one day.  We can never know how much time we have on this Earth, so we should spend more time being thankful for family and friends and the achievements we've reached so far and less time being bogged down by stress and anxiety over things really do not amount to much in the grand scheme of things.

I don't want to be on my death bed and realize that I never truly lived. 

That being said, David and I have big plans coming up in 2015...
Stay tuned to see how it all turns out!


Coming up... Week 77:  Running, man...

No comments :

Post a Comment