Sunday, November 23, 2014

W75: How to Become a Badass

Given last week's cheesecake recipe and my utter lack of a proper workout routine since Matt and I competed in the Warrior Dash in June...

I decided it was about time to recommit to fitness.

I dragged myself and anyone else in the vicinity (my mom, my brother, and even my extremely reluctant husband, David) to the gym a total of four days this week. 
This was my husband, David's first time in a gym in SIX years!
(excuse the blurry photo...I had to be stealthy to capture this)
I completed nearly six miles total on the treadmill (some of which were even at a respectable pace).  I did the full-body circuit with David, the leg machines with my mom, and then I ventured into entirely new territory with my brother, Matt.  

Free weights.  

I normally avoid that area because I have no idea what I'm doing, and the people over there tend to be much more serious about their routines than I.  But, I was looking to challenge myself, and trust me, folks, I was definitely out of my comfort zone.

We worked on arm muscles that have clearly never received any attention in my other workouts, and as it turns out... I should probably have spent much more time in that area of the gym in the past year and a half I've had a membership... oops...

But wait!

There's more!

I also came to the realization that I, as the goal-oriented person that I am, cannot simply get myself to the gym without some overarching objective in mind.  With that in mind, I spent all week searching for the perfect race to motivate me over these winter months.

I have long wanted to compete in a Spartan Race or Tough Mudder but I was not convinced that I could be ready for either of those intensely competitive races by Spring.  What I found instead is just plain perfect.  


7k. 30 obstacles.  And, best of all... it benefits Autism Speaks!

It looks tough, but I think this is just what I need to get motivated!  I have about 5 1/2 months to train, but I've already started researching obstacle course training techniques.  

I'll keep everyone posted on my progress! 
In the meantime, what keeps you motivated to workout during the cold winter months?
 

Coming up... Week 76: A Time of Thanks

No comments :

Post a Comment