Sunday, November 16, 2014

W74: Healthy-ish Pumpkin Maple Cheesecake

With my foray into cooking with last week's Healthy Apple Crisp recipe, I thought why not give it another shot.  And, since I associate apples with autumn though the weather here in Illinois is leaning more towards winter, I thought why not try out another autumnal recipe.

This week's recipe came from a cheesecake book that I received about three and a half years ago as a bridal shower gift.  This was only my second attempt at cheesecake and the first attempt using this particular book (sorry Mom).  You can read about my first cheesecake here.

Since I used light cream cheese and low-fat sour cream, I have deemed this a Healthy-ish Pumpkin Maple Cheesecake.


CRUST: 1 1/2 c. gingersnap cookie crumbs, 3 Tbsp. melted margarine
FILLING: 3 (8 oz.) packages of light cream cheese, 1 c. low-fat sour cream,
1 c. granulated sugar, 1/2 c. pure maple syrup, 3 eggs, 1/4 c. flour,
1/4 cup. pumpkin puree (not pie filling), 2 tsp. homemade vanilla,
1 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. nutmeg, 1/4 tsp. cloves, 1/4 tsp. allspice
So, as you can see by the photo, my pumpkin puree did not come from a can. 

The story behind that is as follows...

I could only find canned pie filling at the grocery store so my husband and I came up with the brilliant idea that we would just pick up a couple of pumpkins and make the puree ourselves. 

I actually thought, this will be a great experience to blog about

My dear, loving husband, however, who does not understand the world of blogging took it upon himself to bake the pumpkins while I was at work one day so this container of pumpkin goo was all that remained.   

Did you at least take photos? I asked hopefully. 

But alas, he did not. 

It's not the end of the world, but I felt it only necessary to explain where the goo came from and why I did not document that whole process...

Pulverize the gingersnaps in a food processor
then slowly mix in the melted margarine.
Press the crust into the bottom of a spring form pan
then place the pan in the freezer to set.
In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese, sour cream and sugar and
beat on medium-high for 3 minutes.
Slowly add in maple syrup
then eggs (one at a time).

Next, combine the flour, pumpkin, vanilla, and spices
and beat until mixed completely.
Pour  the filling into the spring form pan
and bake at 325 for 45 to 55 minutes.
It says the top should be light brown
and the center should have a slight jiggle to it
but this was not my experience...
Mine was still very pale and very liquid at 55 minutes
therefore I left it in for longer.
I think it was a little over done and it clearly cracked (again)
but it was so rich and tasty that no one even cared.
Let cool on rack for 2 hours then refrigerate for
at least 6 hours before serving.
The maple is not very prevalent, but the pumpkin and spices
definitely are.  It tasted like a pumpkin pie cheesecake.
Pure perfection!


I loved trying out something a little different with this dessert I love so much! 
What's the best cheesecake you've ever had?


Coming up... Week 75: How to Become a Badass

No comments :

Post a Comment