Sunday, November 9, 2014

W73: Healthy Apple Crisp







Food is a constant challenge for me.

Don't get me wrong.  I LOVE food!

I do not particularly enjoy cooking, mostly because it takes a long time (as in--it's typically not instantaneous), it creates a huge mess (or at least I always seem to when I cook), and anything that sounds remotely appetizing (i.e. bacon, donuts, etc) tends not to be healthy whatsoever.

But fall always rouses some sense of domesticity within me and I just can't help but at least try to bake something.  So this week I tried out a Jillian Michaels recipe: Healthy Apple Crisp.



Ingredients: 1/4 c. coconut oil, 1/4 c. honey,
4 Golden Delicious apples, 1 Tbsp. lemon juice, 1 Tbsp. + 1/2 c. flour,
1 c. oats, 1 Tbsp. chopped walnuts, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon,
1/4 tsp. nutmeg, 1/4 tsp. salt

Peel and slice the apples
The best part about the rare moments I attempt to cook
is that Loki knows it's unusual and always gives me
this look of concern like he's worried I'm going to
burn down the house or something... And, I can't even
be mad at him.  It's a valid concern, buddy.
Melt coconut oil and honey in the microwave.
Recipe says 30 seconds but my coconut oil
was fairly solid so it took about 1 1/2 minutes.
While that mixture melts, combine the Tbsp. of flour
with the lemon juice in a large bowl and coat the slices.
Line the bottom of the baking dish with the apples.
In the same large bowl, combine the remaining flour, honey,
oats, cinnamon, nutmeg & salt then add the melted mixture.
Mix by hand until it crumbles.
 
Bake at 375 for about 45 minutes or until golden brown.
To keep it healthy, try serving it with Greek yogurt
instead of ice cream or whipped cream.

This apple crisp is so delicious!  I definitely licked the bowl clean too...  I will say that mine wasn't as gooey as I am normally used to with a crisp.  I probably could have taken it out a little sooner, but it's still amazing and that's what toppings are for...  Anyway, it really doesn't take very long to make and it's a nice alternative to the sugary pies and cookies that typically come out in fall and winter.

What are some healthier dishes you love during these colder months?


Coming up... Week 74: Healthy-ish Pumpkin Maple Cheesecake

No comments :

Post a Comment