Monday, September 15, 2014

W65: Natural Exfoliant

Okay, I admit it.

I'm a sucker for natural, home remedies...

I am always looking for cool skin and hair treatments from everyday kitchen products.  In preparation for my friend Jaclyn's wedding, I thought I would try out this exfoliant that kept seeing on Pinterest.  It's so simple, it's pretty much impossible to screw up and yet...


The ingredients are as follows:
  • sugar
  • olive oil
  • lemon juice

That's it.  Real simple, right?  The sugar scrubs away dead skin, the olive oil provides deep down moisture, and the lemon juice brightens up the appearance of your newly revealed skin.

Here's the thing.  I don't really pay attention to little things like measuring or ratios... I'll just throw it all together, I thought.  It will all work out.  It's just three freaking ingredients.  How hard can it be?

So... here's why you need to balance everything out as you add it...

You want the mixture to be mostly sugar.  The olive oil and lemon juice should only be a tiny portion of this concoction.  If you take the other route, as your narrator may have done, you end up with mostly oil which means that you are just slicking up your legs and the shower with very little exfoliation action actually taking place.

Not good, genius.

Now you've created a dangerous slip-n-slide and put your life as well as the lives of any future shower-goers at risk.  That oil is pretty much impossible to wash away; instead it clogs up your razor and you're no better than where you started.  So much for silky smooth...

Moral of the story, always follow the directions...

Once I balanced it out, I was able to figure this whole exfoliant thing out.

The key to this is to:
Use the scrub.
Shave.
Use the scrub again.
And, are you ready for this? Shave again!

Sure it takes a lot of time, but it's worth it if that's what you're looking for.  But, be forewarned.  You might want to try it out for a week to really slough off the dead and make sure you don't wind up with in-growns.  In my experience it's not really a one and done kind of deal.  Good luck!

Coming up...  Week 66: Writing Exercise

No comments :

Post a Comment