Saturday, August 23, 2014

W60: Cuckoo for Coconut

I've heard a lot lately about the wonders of coconut water...

To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of coconut.  (I think it's a texture thing)

But, I figured a beverage should bring about none of my usual aversions to coconut as a food, and it of course provided me with an interesting new challenge for the week!

So here it is...

My take on coconut water...
The coconut water I chose comes from the Vita Coco company which has several different lines of coconut based products.  Their pure coconut water line comes in several different flavors: 100% pure (plain coconut water), lemonade, peach & mango, orange, tropical fruit, or the flavor I opted for--pineapple.

According to Vita Coco, coconut water is a great natural source of potassium and electrolytes.  It helps you hydrate better than regular water which is perfect for someone like me who doesn't always get those 64 ounces in...

So how was it?

Meh.  It's not terrible, but I'm wondering if my lackluster reaction has more to do with the pineapple flavor than the coconut water itself.  This beverage tastes like creamy/watery pineapple juice which is slightly off putting.  I think this would make a great alternative for smoothies, but I don't know that I could just drink it straight.  I will admit that the more I drank of it, the less jarring it was. 

Maybe it's one of those tastes that must be acquired?

I think I'll need to try some other flavors before rendering my final decision.

Coming up... Week 61: Matthiessen Adventuring

No comments :

Post a Comment