Sunday, April 27, 2014

Week 45: The Ups and Downs of Racing




This was Week 5 of my modified Couch to 5k (C25k) program and my second race of the year: The Illinois Marathon 5k.  Check out Weeks 1, 2, 3 and 4. 

Week 5:


SUNDAY
MONDAY
TUESDAY
WEDNESDAY
THURSDAY
FRIDAY
SATURDAY
5 min walk @ 3.5 mph
5 min walk @ 3.5 mph
REST
5 min walk @ 3.6 mph
REST
Illinois Marathon 5k!
REST
 6 min jog @
5 mph
 5 min jog @
5 mph

 7 min jog @
5 mph



5 min walk @ 3.5 mph
5 min walk @ 3.5 mph

5 min walk @ 3.6 mph



6 min jog @ 5 mph
3 min jog @ 5 mph

7 min jog @ 5 mph



5 min walk @ 3.5 mph
7 min walk @ 3.5 mph

5 min walk @ 3.6 mph



3 min jog @ 5 mph
1 min jog @ 5.5 mph

1 min jog @ 6 mph



5 min COOLDOWN
3 min walk @ 3.5 mph

5 min COOLDOWN



LEGS
1 min jog @ 6 mph





65 Squats
5 min COOLDOWN





Walked my dog
65 Squats






(Sunday and Monday were on an incline of 2.5, while Wednesday was only 1.0.)
My Husky-German Shepherd, Loki!

Day 29 was my chance to make up for last week.  I went back down to 6 minute running intervals to give myself a chance to build back up.  I did 2.38 miles in 35 minutes plus a little bit of leg work.  I added my squats back in.  Still not were I wanted to be in steps for the day, I also took our dog, Loki, for a long walk.  We did about 3384 in steps which translates to about 1.41 miles.  We were both pretty happy about it.

Day 30 was rough.  I still couldn't quite do those 7 minute running intervals.  I realized that I cannot continue to go up in incline and running intervals.  I have to choose one or the other.  I ended up with 2.33 miles in 35 minutes but I managed to get the squats in there.

Day 31 was a rest day.  I didn't want to overwork myself knowing we had the race coming up on Friday.

Day 32 was my best run yet!  Once I adjusted the incline back down to 1.0, I was able to do my 7 minute intervals!!  I also increased my walking speed slightly and even ran at 6 for the last minute!  I did 2.49 miles in 35 minutes!  I felt amazing!  That was a really good sign for the race just two days away at this point.

Day 33 was a rest day in preparation for the following day.

Day 34 was my second 5k of the year: The Illinois Marathon 5k!  7,000 runners lined up Friday night to compete in this race around the University of Illinois campus.
My mom and me just before heading to the Illinois Marathon 5k
Striking a power pose before the race
Race day selfie
I was in the fourth wave because I estimated my finish time would be roughly 40 minutes.  That was my hope anyway.  I did the Allerton Trail-GLO 5k in 43.25.55 so I really just wanted to beat that time.  

I set a timer on my Fitbit to go off at 8p (30 minutes after the race started).  I thought that would help me figure out if I was on track or not.  When it went off, I was a few feet in front of mile 2!  

 I took that as a sign that I was making good time.  I had been able to run almost all of the first mile.  However, I wasn't able to run as much as I'd hoped throughout.  So as I entered Memorial Stadium, I broke into the fastest sprint of my life.  When I crossed the finish line, the clock read 43:53.  I was pretty excited about that because I knew that my wave didn't start right at 7:30p.  I was confident that I had actually done better than expected and broke 40 minutes!
After the race!  Yes, those are glow sticks again... that's just how we roll...
It wasn't until we got home and checked the times that I realized just how much better... My wave started 8:46 after the first wave meaning I actually finished in 35:08!  That is more than 8 minutes faster than my last race!

C25K is really paying off.  Imagine if I was able to run the whole thing...

Day 35 was a much deserved rest day.  I actually felt fine after this race.  I did a lot of new calf stretches to prevent shin splints and I felt great the day after.  No aches or pains whatsoever!


And, now for the down side of racing...

My next 5k was supposed to be in two weeks.  I signed up for the May 10th Run-or-Dye in Champaign, IL only to discover that the city never actually approved that race...  The new race is scheduled October 11th in a nearby town of Rantoul.  I will probably still run in it because I want to do a color run, but this messes up my racing schedule which is more than a little frustrating.  To stay on schedule, I am now doing a race on May 10th called the Not Your Average Joe 5k in Urbana, IL.

If everything goes okay, I should be transitioning to 8 and 9 minute running intervals next week!  Stay tuned!

Coming up... Week 46:  If Elvis and Ingrid Michaelson had a musically challenged lovechild...





No comments :

Post a Comment