Saturday, April 19, 2014

Week 44: Lucky Number 7

Here is yet another writing exercise I tried out in an effort to foster a creative atmosphere for writing: 7x7x7x7

The premise is simple:  Grab the 7th book from your bookshelf.  Open it up to page 7.  Pinpoint the 7th sentence on the page.  Begin a poem that begins with that sentence and limit it in length to 7 lines.


Attempt #1:
(Taken from the 7th book from the right in a book cubbie in my living room. )

My 7th book:  E.M. Forster's A Room with a View

7th sentence on the 7th page: "It gave her no pleasure that anyone should be left in the cold; and when she rose to go she turned back and gave the two outsiders a nervous little bow."

Poem beginning with the 7th sentence, limited to 7 lines:

It gave her no pleasure that anyone should be left in the cold; 
and when she rose to go 
she turned back and gave the two outsiders a nervous little bow.
Her balance, not what it once was, made her suddenly feel quite old;
 as her cheeks flushed to red
 and all attention turned to her, she instantly regretted
that careless little bow.


Attempt #2:
(Taken from the 7th book from the left on the third shelf of a bookcase in my living room.)
My 7th book:  Toni Morrison's Tar Baby

7th sentence on the 7th page: "The light from the passage allowed him to examine the closet."

Poem beginning with the 7th sentence, limited to 7 lines:

The light from the passage allowed him to examine the closet.
A tennis racket here; a box of winter hats there;
A glove without it's mate; a well-worn chess set.
A smile crept across his face, his skin as crinkled as those old scraps of paper,
As he reached through the clutter and loudly proclaimed,
"Oh yes, here it is.
Just as I left it."
Attempt #3:
(Taken from the 7th book from the right on the first shelf of a bookcase in my living room.)

7th sentence on the 7th page (after the Introduction), from the Pima Story of Creation: "But the first night his stars did not give light enough."

Poem beginning with the 7th sentence, limited to 7 lines:

But the first night his stars did not give light enough.
In that darkness he was forced to face the truth
For we do not, no we simply cannot choose.
And though her features remained obscurred,
His heart sank just the same imagining her tears.
For she did not belong to him that first night
Nor the following years.


Also this was Week 4 of my modified Couch to 5k (C25k) program.  Check out Weeks 1, 2, and 3.

Week 4:


SUNDAY
MONDAY
TUESDAY
WEDNESDAY
THURSDAY
FRIDAY
SATURDAY
REST
5 min walk @ 3.5 mph
5 min walk @ 3.5 mph
REST
REST
REST
REST

 7 min jog @
5 mph
 7 min jog @
5 mph





18 min walk @ 3.5 mph
5 min walk @ 3.5 mph





5 min COOLDOWN
3 min jog @ 5 mph






3 min walk @ 3.5 mph






2 min jog @ 5 mph






5 min walk @ 4 mph






5 min COOLDOWN




 (These are all on an incline of 2.0.)

Day 22 was a rest day.

Day 23 transitioned to 7 minute running intervals.  I did fine for the first interval, but my stomach wasn't feeling great for the next interval so I just walked the rest of the time.  2.22 miles, no squats.

Day 24 was still a 7 minute running interval day.  I did a little better with running for the second interval, but I still wasn't feeling great so I ended up just increasing my walking speed for the last 5 minutes. 2.38 miles, no squats.

Day 25-28 whatever was bothering my stomach kept me away from the gym for the rest of the week.

Hopefully I will start feeling better in time for next week's schedule.  I may have to reduce my running intervals back down since I am supposed to be on 9 minute intervals by now.  Stay tuned for next week's progress report.  My next 5k is on Friday!  I found out my time to beat from the first 5k of the year is 43.25.55.  I think I can manage that on a warm day with no trails to navigate...


Coming up...  Week 45:The Ups and Downs of Racing

No comments :

Post a Comment