Saturday, April 5, 2014

Week 42: Mixin' it up on the Trails

Last week, I started a new modified Couch-to-5k (C25K) workout.  This week I continued to make progress as I slowly built my way up to my first 5k of the year:  The Allerton GLO-Run 5k!


Week 2:


SUNDAY
MONDAY
TUESDAY
WEDNESDAY
THURSDAY
FRIDAY
SATURDAY
5 min walk @ 3.5 mph
5 min walk @ 3.5 mph
REST
5 min walk @ 3.5 mph
REST
Allerton GLO-Run 5k
REST
4 min jog @
5 mph
4 min jog @
5 mph

5 min jog @
5 mph



5 min walk @ 3.5 mph
5 min walk @ 3.5 mph

5 min walk @ 3.5 mph



4 min jog @
5 mph
4 min jog @
5 mph

5 min jog @
5 mph



12 min walk @ 3.5 mph
5 min walk @ 3.5 mph

5 min walk @ 3.5 mph



5 min COOLDOWN
4 min jog @
5 mph

5 min jog @
5 mph



55 Squats
3 min walk @ 3.5 mph

5 min COOLDOWN




5 min COOLDOWN

55 Squats




LEGS






55 Squats






(All treadmill runs were done on a 1.0 incline.)

Day 8 was rough!  I am not sure what my body has against Sundays, but I was not able to do all three run intervals as planned and once again I skipped my Insanity workout.  I went back down to 2.23 miles, but I did add an extra 5 squats to my routine.  That counts for something, right?

Day 9 was infinitely better than the previous day!  I did all of my 4 minute running intervals with relative ease and finished out the day with 2.33 miles.  We even did some leg machines and of course my beloved squats!

Day 10 was a much needed rest day.

Day 11 was amazing!  I comfortably increased my running intervals to 5 minutes and felt pretty darn good doing so!  I increased my distance to my new personal best: 2.42 miles!  And, I did my squats which are actually starting to feel easy again.  Time to increase them I guess...

Day 12 was a rest day in preparation for the race.

Day 13 was the Allerton GLO-Run!
At the entrance to Allerton Park when it was still light out.

My mom and me moments before the race started!  She insisted on us wearing those glow sticks.
The beautiful finish line!  Glow sticks and volunteers lit our path through the trails and these lights guided us to our glorious finish between those two cones!
Feeling invincible after the race!  We made it through those cold, dark, muddy trails and it was amazing!

Realizations I came to while running on the trails:
  • I am just a walker who has fooled herself into believing she can run with the real runners.
  • It's a lot harder to run in the elements on uneven ground that it is to run on the treadmill.
  • I don't like running to music but it was kind of nice running next to someone with music.
  • I am definitely not even close to being ready for the Warrior Dash!
  • I should run at a steeper incline on the treadmill.
  • Maybe I shouldn't skip Insanity anymore. 
  • I do not do enough intense cardio.
  • The finish line is all that matters.
  • This was awesome!
  • I did it!
The times are not posted yet as there are still races going on today.  Although, I am not sure how accurate the times will be... I was handed a stick that said 97 so I'm guessing that's what place I finished in.  My mom's stick was 148.  No matter what, it was a great experience and the perfect way to kick on the race season!

Day 14 was a well deserved rest day!  Although my legs actually felt fine the day after the race, I figured I should still give them time to recover before transitioning to 6 minute running intervals on Sunday!

3 weeks 'til the next race!  And, that one won't have any mud!  Let's hope I keep improving as a runner!



Coming up...  Week 43:  Healthy Feast fit for a King

No comments :

Post a Comment