Saturday, March 15, 2014

Week 37: The Ultimate Goal

I've heard that once you set your ultimate goal in life, everything you do from that point on should be working towards getting you closer to that goal.  The problem, in my opinion, is being honest enough with yourself to reveal that ultimate goal.

So, what would it be?


If you won the lottery, what would you do with your time?

If money were no object, what job would you choose because you love it so much that it's not even work to you?

What is your innermost passion in life?

Stumped?  Me, too!

I have thought a lot about this... If I really searched deep down, I think I would have to write (no big surprise there), but I also want to experience new things and see the world.  The only logical conclusion, therefore, is travel writing.

That being said, I have no idea where to even start or go about finding that sort of work but that's really besides the point.  The whole idea of this premise is to decide on an ultimate goal and start taking the necessary steps to achieve it.  It may be a bit extreme to say every decision I make from here on out should be propelling myself toward that goal but certainly a good portion of them should.

Now, where to start...

I definitely think this is a field that I can explore in my free time so it does not require anything so drastic as quitting my day job.  Though without my safety net, some might say, I would be forced to make more of an effort to achieve my dreams.   To those people I would point out that I have always surrounded myself in chaos.  Juggling multiple tasks at the same time is kind of my thing.  After all, I switched jobs while planning my wedding and working on a master's.  I think I can handle a full-time job during the week with a little weekend writing.

I do not necessarily need to make any rash decisions but rather simply realign my focus and stop wasting my time on things that are getting me nowhere.

I think this blog has been a great start.  It certainly hasn't grown as fast as I might have expected, but I also began writing it as a way to reconnect with myself with no real intention to grow an audience.  I think I needed to get to that point where I felt like myself again before I could hope to connect with the world.

My problem is that I want instant results, and that is not at all how this process is going to work.  It's going to be slow and at times painful, but the reward will be worth it.  When I can truly call myself a writer without hesitation or regret, I'll know I have made it.

In the meantime, I am going to continue to make strides to slowly build my readership, and continue to keep my eye on the prize.  We are planning a trip to San Francisco in May.  That will be a great way to get started with writing from this specific perspective.  People need to be able to experience the trip through my writing and photos and to long to take that trip themselves.

Stay tuned, folks!  Many great things to come!

 

Coming up... Week 38:  Weight for it...

No comments :

Post a Comment