Friday, January 24, 2014

Week 32: Pulp Fiction

Kumquat.

Weird word.  Weird food.

I have always been a little curious about them, so I decided that this week was as good as any to give them a try.  My first question:  What is a kumquat?  It's a strange, little citrus fruit who's peel is edible.  Okay, so what do I do with them?  Most websites recommended making candied kumquats or a marmalade.  Not really my style, folks.  I decided to try a vinaigrette instead.  And wouldn't you know it, there were no kumquat vinaigrette recipes out there.  So I combined a few citrus vinaigrette recipes from Allrecipes.com and this was the result:

Wash about 5 kumquats.  No need to peel or slice.

Toss those babies into a food processor (or blender) and pulverize 'em.

Add about 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil, 1 tbsp of honey, 1 tsp of white wine vinegar, and 1/2 tsp of poppy seeds (use with care, too many and they will overpower the vinaigrette).

Add some lime juice, salt, and pepper to taste.

It makes about 1 cup of dressing, but you really don't need much on your salad.  I think I used about 2-3 tsps.

Here is a baby spring mix salad with the kumquat dressing, grated romano cheese, and caesar croutons.  I recommend using the croutons and cheese to balance out the acid in the vinaigrette.
It actually turned out better than expected.  I don't know that I would say that kumquats are my new favorite food by any means, but this vinaigrette was pretty darn tasty.

Also, this week my husband and I found a list of 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die.  I was surprised at how few, as an English major, I had actually read.  Yes, I had read quite a few of the 1800s books, the occasional book from the 1700s, and of course, anything Toni Morrison has ever written, but in the grand scheme of things, I am severely under-read.  And I would be surprised if my husband had read more than 5 books off of this list.

Well, challenge accepted.  I have convinced David that we should read these books together then watch any movies (as I noticed that many of them had been turned into movies and I knew that would probably motivate him a little bit more than reading alone).

I picked up the first book from the library this week:




Coming Up... Week 33: SQUAT Team, Go!


2 comments :

  1. Sorry, for the low estimate... I know you didn't read a lot of the required books due to moving back and forth in high school. 8 books out of 1001 is MUCH better...

    ReplyDelete