Sunday, December 15, 2013

Week 26: A Chip of a Different Flavor

After my success with kale juice, I thought I would try my hand at another popular kale-based item: chips.
After washing and drying my bunch of kale, I tore each leaf into smaller pieces and coated with a thin layer of olive oil.

Then, I added salt and pepper.  The recipe I was using recommended truffle salt, but I don't typically have that lying around the house, so I just used coarse sea salt.

I baked the kale in the oven at 350 for 10 minutes.  Flip leaves and bake for another 10 minutes.

The leaves really shrink as they are baking.  Mine did not end up as crispy as I would have liked.  I think I needed to dry them out more before baking.

Since the kale chips tend to loose their crisp the following day, it is recommended to store them with a little bit of rice to absorb that extra moisture.
Although I am fairly certain my kale chips did not turn out the way they were supposed to, I still ate them with tilapia and rice, and they were delicious.  I would definitely try it again sometime, with a few minor alterations.


Week 27: Under Wraps

No comments :

Post a Comment