Sunday, September 8, 2013

Week 10: Boom, headshot!

My husband turned 29 on August 24th.  To celebrate, we took a group of friends paint-balling.  I was one of only two people in our group who had never been so that was the perfect opportunity for me to step outside of my norm and pwn some n00bs.

As we arrived on one of the hottest days of the summer in the woods where we would prove our skills at hunting the most dangerous game, we were greeted by some interesting characters...  One man, dressed in camo from head to toe and toting his own high-power paint gun, mysteriously showed up sans friends.  Unfortunately, my husband is too nice and allowed said character to join our group along with a handful of other misfits.

This experience quickly turned from a fun day with friends to an awkward day with random strangers who took this "sport" much more seriously than I could have ever anticipated.

During the first round, I realized I really couldn't see too well out of
my mask and thus spent the entire time hiding behind a wooden barricade until someone managed to shoot me in the neck.  I don't think I fired my gun once that round.

The next round was pretty much the same except from the other side of the "field".  And, a small child and his father were added to our team.  Said child was obviously too young for such an intense exchange with grown men, despite his camo bandana.  This nameless child screamed for his dad to cover him during the entire round until both father and son were shot in the neck.  That shot appeared far more painful than the one I experienced just one round earlier.  He started crying immediately and it took a long time for him to recover enough to venture back out for another round.

The next round was, by far, my favorite.  Three young men were added to our ever-expanding party as we set off for a new "field" and an entirely new game.  This time we played something called Zombies.  "Humans" were instructed to defend a fort while three "zombies" started on the opposite side of the "field" and had to sneak up to the fort without getting shot.  Anyone shot by a "zombie" was now infected and forced to join the other side.  If there were any "humans" left in the fort at the end of 15 minutes, they won.  After switching out my mask, I did very well as a "human" until the last few minutes when I was shot in the shoulder and forced into zombiedom.  My gun was malfunctioning during the second half of that round, however, so I never even got to infect anyone as a zombie as I could not shoot more than ten feet in front of me.

For some reason, no one wanted to play that game anymore so we returned to our old field.  I decided I had participated enough for the day and sat out the final two rounds.  I don't know that I ever actually shot anyone the entire time I was out there, and I don't know if I would ever want to play again.  But I tried it, and I can cross it off my bucket list so I'll still count it a success.


COMING UP... Week 11:  League of "Extraordinary Gentlemen"

1 comment :

  1. My first time paint balling wasn't that great but there is something to aim a gun at someone you know and pulling the trigger. WOW....heh but it is kind of fun regardless.....I think you should tell the story of how Will insulted a national guard....ALSO you should have someone take you to an actual gun range and fire a real gun with live ammo....PLEASE MAKE IT ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete