Sunday, August 18, 2013

Week 9: LeVar Burton would be so proud!

This week I only stepped slightly outside of my comfort zone.

The other night we were discussing several different books amongst friends, and it occurred to us that it might be fun to start a book club.  Per my friend Will's recommendation, I joined goodreads, a website where you can log books you have read and tag books you would like to read.  The site evaluates your choices and recommends other books that you might be interested in.

Of course, after about half an hour on goodreads, I had rated 67 books that I have read and tagged 89 that I would like to read.  This could be a very dangerous site for me.  Since I have an English degree, it is not at all surprising to me that most of my books were "classics".  I always said someday I would like to go back and read the entire literary canon--but then that just raises a lot of questions about who determines what books are worth reading...and I never quite got around to deciding where to start.

This website solves some of the mystery for me.

Plus, I can see what friends are currently reading and the types of books they are interested.  Perfect tools for starting a book club.

But you don't have to take my word for it...


COMING UP...  Week 10:  Boom, headshot!

1 comment :

  1. I love the youtube video you added.....and let me finish school and I would love to join this book reading club...as long as we add horror or business related books sometimes.

    ReplyDelete