Saturday, June 29, 2013

Week 2: Channeling Bob Ross

My husband and I recently celebrated our two year wedding anniversary.  The traditional gift for this anniversary is cotton which certainly challenged both of us as gift-givers.  I went with a couple of Blackhawks t-shirts so he could support his team properly during the Stanley Cup Finals, especially when that very team won the whole thing! 

My husband out did my gift by far.  His gift to me was a beautiful picture of us dancing on our wedding day printed in black and white on a canvas AND a small blank canvas, a pack of 5 canvas sheets with adhesive backs, a set of 28 acrylic paints with paintbrushes, and an extra set of paint brushes in larger sizes.  I have long wanted to try my hand at painting (pun intended), and he gave me the perfect project for my second week of this little experiment.

The over-planner in me immediately went a little crazy.  I thought of all these different textures and elements I could add to my artwork.  I definitely went overboard.  And, I really had no idea yet if I could was capable of actually producing anything close to the picture in my head.  So I scaled back a little and decided to practice my painting technique on one of the canvas sheets before I did anything with the real canvas.

I practiced a paisley pattern in greens and blues so that I could test out the different brushes
A flower created from cutting petals out of the paisley pattern
I tested out the different brushes and my new paints by creating a paisley pattern.  It looked pretty good with just the two shades of green, but of course I couldn't leave well enough alone.  I decided to add cobalt blue to punch it up a bit. 

I wasn't really happy with the way the pattern turned out with the blue, so I decided to take it even further and create something else entirely.   By cutting out petals and a center from the paisley pattern, I came up with a pretty decent flower.  I have considered creating a few more and framing them together as my first real piece of artwork.

Now that I have practiced my technique a bit, I feel ready to take on my next project--a tree outline with an excerpt from "i carry your heart with me" by E E Cummings.  My husband and I read this beautiful poem at our wedding.  

Pictures to come.

COMING UP... Week 3: Sprechen Sie Deutsch?

UPDATE:  Here is the tree painting.  It took me many, many hours to produce this and I am still not quite happy with it...




here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life which grows
higher than soul can hope or mind can hide)

2 comments :

  1. Those turned out pretty cool. I was over at the house on Monday and noticed them but forgot to ask about them. I think the thing you need to work in is private karaoke room experience, cause that was something defiantly new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know but I had already started on the blog post for that week so the private room karaoke will have to remain a giant question mark... it was a very different experience indeed.

    ReplyDelete